Student Conduct and Community Standards serves as a resource of the university community. Here is a list of frequently asked questions for faculty/staff at the University of Kansas. If you need additional information, please contact us.

Call Us at 785-864-4060

Email Us at

Submit a CARE referral. KU has a highly-skilled team who reviews all CARE reports and meets weekly to identify appropriate resources and strategies for each student. CARE reports topics include a student who failed to attend class two weeks in a row, death of a loved one, relationship concerns, mental health, and concerns for harm to self or others.  Our team uses a nationally-researched rubric and expertise to evaluate risk in each situation and respond accordingly. We encourage you to let the student know you are concerned and will have a member of this team contact them for support. For more information, contact Student Support and Case Management.

KU policies identify classroom behavior and disruption issues as academic misconduct, rather than non-academic misconduct. This means these issues should be addressed similar to plagiarism or other academic concerns. However, we know this can be confusing and overwhelming for the instructor. When classroom behavior and disruption issues arise, the best strategy is to address the concern early and often, rather than letting the issue build over a period of time. SCCS and Student Support and Case Management are happy to discuss strategies for engaging the student. You are welcome to submit an SCCS report, CARE referral, or contact SCCS for further instructions.

Academic misconduct is handled by the academic school in which your course falls. Regardless of the student’s major, academic misconduct is handled within the specific course and its corresponding school. Please contact your school’s student services office or dean’s office for details on the appropriate procedure.

If this is an emergency, call 911. If the situation is not an emergency, contact SCCS or the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access. We are happy to guide you through the process and will ask additional questions to learn more. After you file a report, we’ll gather additional information as needed. Based upon the situation, either SCCS or IOA will contact the student to share more information about resources and possible resolution pathways. Students are never forced to participate in the process or speak with either office.

We encourage you to let students know you are a mandatory reporter and are concerned for their wellbeing. As a mandatory reporter, you can promise privacy but not confidentiality. This means you won’t share the information beyond SCCS and/or IOA, but you need to let someone know in order to support the student. You can tell the student they will receive communication about the concern, but they have the option to respond or not respond.